Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tuesday review- rawhide chew

The rawhide chew was amongst the things the breeder gave us when we collected Pepe. It has lain dormant until this day... I was amazed and repulsed in equal measure when I saw the results of a Pug's patient chewing of this material. Pepe had managed to work one of the knots off, and the result I can only describe as being chewing gum for dogs. Does anyone else give their Pugs these ? I believe their use needs to be supervised incase Puggy chokes on an unchewed section :S

4 comments:

Puddleglum said...

Yeah, Dad gives me those. I do the same thing.

Dad was kinda worried at first, and maybe he should be watching a little closer, but he doesn't now for two reasons: 1) I am fine after having obviously ingested a bone as big as me; and 2) I nearly always have to be glued to Dad anyway, so it's not like I chew on it away in some dark corner. At the very least, I'm in the same room, which means I am always within earshot if choking should occur.

Liss said...

I just started giving my pugs these. I take them away anytime they have a piece that comes off.

Harry Pugalicious said...

I get them all the times!!! One time I did swallow a piece that was a little too big but quickly gagged it back up!

Mom thought that was gross and now takes them away when they get to a certain size.

Sandra y Coco Pug said...

Hi! I gave my pug one of those a while ago (he actually picked it from the isle at petco) and worked like a miracle for me because he was very entertained and stopped asking for food for moments during the day (he is on cortisone and will eat an elephalt if he could). Also he doesn't like toys. He had the rawhide only when I was close to him, but then I told the vet and she asked me to stop giving him the rawhide because he can choke. I think that it can be safe if it is a big piece and I am thinking of buying rawhide again. This boy needs a hobby.