Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remembrance day


Today is a very important day where we remember those who have died for us. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and perhaps more able to get my head around the scale of what occured that it upsets me more and more. Recently I read "Birdsong", by Sebastian Faulks. While I found the story only so-so, the descriptions of life in the trenches, going over the top and the loss of lives were absolutely mind-boggling.


Last year we went to The Animals' War exhibition at the War Museum. It was really good. The pic I have uploaded is of one of the exhibits from it, I think this cat must have been a champion mouser on one of the Navy's crafts. Not only were they there to keep the rodents under control, but I imagine they would have also been a great comfort to our servicemen- a friendly furry face.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Happy Remembrance Day to you! It's a humbling day, indeed.

Pug Posse said...

Happy Remembrance Day from the Pug Posse!

Mickey's Musings said...

Great post!!!! I think many times people forget that humans were not the only ones in the wars. Many animals were employed too:)
Thanks for sharing that story!!
Purrs Mickey

Liss said...

That's a very thoughtful post. I imgaine that war animals are great companions for soldiers, I know you hear so many stories about how after the wars soldiers have worked hard to bring the animals back home with them. What a great testimate to the human-animal bond.

Samantha & Mom said...

What a wonderful post! If you want to get more visitors, please leave your link at the Cat Blogosphere at
http://www.blog.catblogosphere.com . It's a gret place to meet new furiends and keep up with a lot of kitties!
Your FL furiends,