Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Wordy Wednesday

Here is a picture of me in Paris last year. Now Paris is famous for its cemeteries- or the famous people buried on them. However the one I was most interested to visit was the Animal Cemetery. I first read about it in a children's book my sister bought me called "This is Paris" :)

The Animal Cemetery is on the outskirts of the city - because of an old law (for hygiene) that said that dead animals couldn't be buried in the city. So it wasn't included on the maps in my guidebook . We enquired at reception at the apartments we were staying in, and the lady there had never heard of it either- we got quite a funny look, but she was ever so helpful :) Anyway we found it in the end...

The pic is of me in front of the monument to Barry, "the world's most famous St Bernard", who rescued 40 people, but died trying to save the 41st!

4 comments:

Pug Posse said...

Great picture! Love that you're wearing sandles...it's supposed to get cool again here tomorrow :-b
Pug hugs and kisses!
The Pug Posse

Liss said...

Wow, that's really interesting.

A dog park is an fenced in area where dogs are free to run off leash. There's usually a separate area for small dogs and big dogs. It's so much fun. I love the dog park, the best are pug meetups though, where a bunch of pugs get together at the park to play. I feel more safe when the Pug boys are around other pugs. Dog parks became a popular thing in my area of the US about 5 years ago.

Kelly said...

What a neat story about Barry, I had never heard about that! Thanks for sharing! :)

Unknown said...

Wow - how cool that there is a cemetary dedicated to animals - especially animals like that who have done so much good. Can't wait to see pictures from the next trip to Paris!